Estate planning is the process by which an individual or family arranges for the efficient transfer of assets during life or after death. A carefully crafted estate plan can preserve the maximum amount of wealth possible for the intended beneficiaries by avoiding exposure to federal and state gift and estate taxes.
Proper estate planning will also protect family members and ensure that they will be well cared for in the event of a tragedy.
Some of the major estate planning tasks include:
- Creating a will
- Creating trusts
- Choosing a guardian for living dependents
- Naming an executor of the estate
- Naming beneficiaries on plans such as life insurance, IRAs and 401(k)s
- Establishing annual gifting to reduce the taxable estate
- Setting up durable powers of attorney to direct other assets and investments
We believe in a team approach to estate planning and will work closely with our clients’ accountants, financial planners, insurance agents and bankers to protect our clients’ interests.
We invite you to contact us to learn more about estate planning and the services we offer.